NBSS Week 30 – Drafting the key cabinet, parquetry and veneer work on the scales table

This week began with some drafting. I pulled out the full size drafting board, ripped off a big ol’ sheet of drafting vellum and began to layout and design the key cabinet. My overall dimensions are going to be 16”L x 12”W x 5”D. The front curvature is going to be based on a coopering form that another student made with a radius of 25 ¼”.

With these dimensions now known I began to draft the joinery, the inside lattice work panel design the actual widths and angles of the staves for the door, and the veneer on the case and the door. To protect the veneered edges I will be applying a purfling on all the edges in 3/32” holly. Here’s a sample I made up to give you an idea.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is also the walnut veneer I’ll be using on the outside of the case and the door. The inside of the case and the lattice panel will be a lighter colored veneer.

Here’s the design of the pierced inside lattice panel.

The circles will be solid and this will be where the key hanging hooks will be located.

And here’s the proposed front diamond pattern.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also experimented with a technique that Dan recommended where you carve a line drawing type image into or through the top layer of veneer into the substrate below (the wood below is lighter or even a few layers of different colored veneers) and this gives you an image that looks like this.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was interesting and fun to do, but for this application I think I prefer the diamond design or perhaps a koi fish done with marquetry instead.

Last weekend I also did some work at home on some parquetry samples for the scales table. The design is a repeating geometric pattern based on this piece.

What I found was that without using a layout grid as I assembled the pieces together, I quickly distorted the pattern and after 3 or 4 rows each piece needed to have a “correction” cut because the pattern was deviating. So I spent Tuesday drafting out a full size template pattern.

I then spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings burning the midnight oil to begin the process of completing the pattern.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I should be able to finish it up this weekend. Just in time for the premier of “Game of Thrones!”

I also had to work this week on preparing the top of the scales table to accept the parquetry veneered sheet when done. First, I applied a primary layer of veneer to both the top and bottom of the Baltic birch top. This primary layer ensures that any inconsistences in the Baltic Birch ply don’t telegraph through to show in the final veneer layer. With this done I selected and glued the bottom finish veneer to the bottom of the table. I then routed a groove into the edge to apply a purfling similar to the one shown above but this time out of a dark wood called Morado instead of the holly shown above.

Next week I’ll glue on the top sheet of veneer with the scales pattern.

Our Thursday lecture this week was all about hand saw sharpening by Robert Garay, owner of Take a Dip tool sales.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He showed us how to select a good used saw and then demonstrated the process and differences between sharpening both ripcut and crosscut saws. Pretty interesting stuff!

Up next week, more work on the scales table, and hopefully final sanding and finishing on both the scales and basket weave table next weekend, and maybe the start of the candlebox. Until then…

Comments are closed.