NBSS Week 28 – Furniture Shows, the chair is finished, and the basket weave table gets glued together

 

So if you thought I’ve been busy these past few weeks… well this week, oh boy! Monday started the beginning of Boston Design Week and I had two pieces in two different shows: the Rasta Stool in a show at the Design Center in the Seaport on Monday, and the Modern Chair in Design 20/21 at the Cyclorama for four days starting Thursday. So… probably a good time to actually finish the rest of the upholstery on the Modern Chair, don’t you think?

We left off last week having upholstered the slip seat frame up to the point of covering the horsehair in muslin. The next step was to apply a layer of cotton batting, ripped to size with our fingers. After this was sized we began to stretch the actual upholstery fabric tight and begin the process of tacking it in place.

With this done, the last step was to apply a layer of black muslin-type material to the bottom of the frame to make it look clean and tidy.

We then slipped the seat frame into the chair and performed the first sit test, and it feels oh so good!

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On Tuesday, Lance set up the photo studio and here’s the finished chair!

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the basket weave table I started the week cutting and fitting the two upper drawer guiderails. This was a finicky process that involved many angles and some partial disassembly/reassembly during the actual putting together of the table to get the pieces to fit. In these pieces I also added some elongated screw holes to attach the top, and while I was at it I carved some areas in the side aprons for the same purpose.

 

With these pieces fitted it was time to finally glue the base of the table together. This involved the use of many clamps and was a rather hair-raising procedure considering how small the table is, but it was successful and now the table is actually together for the first time, yippie!

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I spent the rest of the week fitting the bottom drawer rails and guides and then cutting the pieces for the drawer front, sides, and back, which in itself required a large amount of brain cell usage because of all the angles. This weekend I plan to cut the dovetails.

So let’s hear some more about the shows, shall we? The Monday show at the Design Center was sponsored by the woodworking Co-Op that Lance is a member of, Fort Point Cabinetmakers, and was a showcase for both student and professionals in the Design Center building. We had student work from MassArt, Rhode Island School of Design, Wentworth, and of course NBSS.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was a fun evening and we all got to network with a bunch of fellow woodworkers as well as designers and furniture collectors. I’ll be looking forward to the show again next year. The second show of the week was the main Design Week event held at the Cyclorama in the South End of Boston. This event catered mostly to designers and furniture and art connoisseurs of all types. My participation in the show was as part of student work being presented at the North Bennet Street School booth. The booth display featured pieces from the Cabinetry and Furniture Making program as well as items from the Bookbinding and Jewelry programs.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was a fantastic show and I can’t wait to participate again next year.

Our Lance lecture for the week was all about coopering. This is the process of making curved parts by gluing together straight or bent pieces of wood with angles cut along both edges. (Most of you are familiar with this process from its use in making barrels.)

The lecture detailed how to determine the angles necessary for a desired radius or circumference and also how to build the jigs necessary to hold the pieces for gluing them together. It was so interesting I’m considering using the process in my next NBSS project, my case piece.

Up next week, fitting the drawer on the basket weave table, the start of the candlebox, and the beginnings of the design for my case piece project. Until then…

Comments are closed.